For a long time — certainly the past 15 years or so — one of the main filters through which I have passed notions about technology development and adoption is the very simple notion of work. what is being done — the ontology of work. It seems that most analysis of technology somehow omits the important consideration of what peolpe actually do in a productive mode. There’s a strange level of abstraction that occurs that fails to examine the elemental nature of work; the conversation that it represents at an individual and group level.
This assertion isn’t based on any empirical observation — it’s more a function of intuition. But I have very good intuition, and I’m thinking about this as a prelude to constructing a more formal research plan. But I think it’s imperative that designers pick up the mantle of understanding work at a more granular level, not work as a disaggregated set of functions.
- RT @JakeAnbinder: Seeing cops without face masks is a reminder that while it's hard to convince some people that police brutality is a prob… 7 hours ago
- RT @emollick: Tesla gets a lot of credit today, but this paper shows Edison mastered the psychology of new technology. To get people to use… 9 hours ago
- @H_MitchellPhoto @juliebhunt Impeach Brett kavanaugh for lying to Congress. It's plainly obvious he did it and ther… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 10 hours ago
- RT @H_MitchellPhoto: It’s time to play by the Republican Party’s rules. Democrats need to start impeachment proceedings immediately, and ti… 10 hours ago
- RT @JeffSharlet: "Patriotic education" is Stephen Miller's fascism + Mike Pence's fundamentalism. Some years ago, I took a course in "patri… 12 hours ago
- The latest SoMediaNaut Daily! paper.li/Breiter/131052… Thanks to @MaureenKelsey #thelastdance #emmys 2 hours ago
- The latest SoMediaNaut Daily! paper.li/Breiter/131052… Thanks to @gregorylent @Autumm 1 day ago
- The latest SoMediaNaut Daily! paper.li/Breiter/131052… Thanks to @MetaCAug #covid19 2 days ago
- The latest SoMediaNaut Daily! paper.li/Breiter/131052… Thanks to @SailWozniak 3 days ago
- The latest SoMediaNaut Daily! paper.li/Breiter/131052… 4 days ago
Who We Are